For centuries, different varieties of mushrooms have been used for their medicinal purposes such as boosting immunity and improving overall health. Each medicinal mushroom has its benefits and they’re all so different - which is why we’re big fans and decided to use them in our adaptogen supplements.
The Chaga mushroom is often referred to as clinker polypore, black mass, cinder conk or birch canker polypore. It is a type of fungus in the Hymenochaetaceae family that grows mainly on the bark of birch trees in cold climates. Due to its irregular form and charcoal-like appearance, it may not look very appealing, but it provides a very long list of health benefits. We never like to judge on appearance here at Forest Spa Finland.
Known for its traditional uses throughout time this mushroom has long been coveted in the Nordic region. It survives in the harshest of environments (think winters of up to -40 degrees) and can take many years to reach adaptogenic maturity.
Along with all of the other ingredients we pack into our supplements, we source them from our trusted suppliers in Finland. They hold Chaga sustainably as a top priority and are doing great work to support the ecosystem.
Heading to Finland and foraging for ingredients ourselves is super important to us - and searching for the rare and ancient Chaga in the forest is a thrill, we always want the best quality for our customers.
What are the benefits of Chaga mushrooms?
Chaga has been used as a traditional medicine across the world for centuries in the form of herbal teas and supplements. Through ongoing research and scientific studies, it is believed that Chaga extract can provide you with a lot of health benefits, including but not limited to the following:
- Boosts immune system - It can help to protect and strengthen your immune system to fight off free radicals, germs and illness. This is super important for everyday health, especially during the current climate where we’re all trying to be as healthy as possible.
- Fights inflammation - Chaga mushroom extract helps to fight inflammation in the body - this can protect against disease due to its anti-inflammatory properties. People who suffer from digestive and gut issues may benefit from this magical ingredient due to its ability to fight harmful bacteria.
- Stimulates white blood cells - The high levels of antioxidants help to produce a lot of white blood cells in the body which help to protect against harmful bacteria viruses and some diseases. Several studies have claimed that Chaga mushroom can also help to slow down cancer cell growth.
- Lowers blood sugar levels - This may be particularly helpful for those who suffer from diabetes although you should speak to your doctor if you are already taking medication or insulin to control your blood sugar levels.
- Lowers cholesterol - A lower cholesterol can reduce your risk of heart disease and other heart-related health issues. The antioxidants present in these mushrooms are responsible for their effects on cholesterol levels. Studies have shown that consuming Chaga extract can help to lower your cholesterol.
- Encourages hair growth - The Chaga mushroom is consistently used in shampoos and other hair care products to stimulate hair growth. Research has concluded that it does in fact have the potential to naturally boost hair growth. So if you’re looking for a natural way to help your hair grow, our supplements could be the answer!
Chaga mushroom vitamins and supplements
Traditionally, Chaga was grated into a fine powder and brewed to make herbal tea. Thanks to modern techniques, we have been able to use special processing to extract highly potent Chaga, and pack it into a daily supplement to help you get the very best out of this magical ingredient quickly and conveniently. Chaga supplements are extremely beneficial and can help with all of the above if taken consistently and consumed as part of your daily wellness routine.
Our Nordic Adaptogen Supplements contain no synthetics or fillers, are vegan and packed full of the highest quality extracted ingredients - including Chaga mushroom to support, strengthen and protect your skin as well as look after your body.
If you have any concerns about side effects or whether our supplements are suitable for you and your lifestyle, speak to your doctor first.